Learning all about how to get pregnant and starting a family should be a straight forward process where a couple can choose to have a baby without any complications. However many people are unable to conceive after years of trying, or suffer from recurrent miscarriages. Both these situations can be physically and emotionally devastating, resulting in life-long implications.
Many people are however unaware of the extent to which they can change their chances of a healthy conception and pregnancy. By improving the health of both partners you can significantly change the quality of sperm production and the environment for the egg fertilization. Thus creating the right formula for a healthy baby.
Give yourself between 3 and 6 months to work on your health before you start trying to conceive. This is the time to detox all toxins and heavy metals that are lodged in your body, and improve the function of your liver, digestive and reproductive systems. This will create balanced hormones and a strong immune system all necessary when learning how to get pregnant. Why? - you may ask.
The worst enemy for sperm is oxidative stress; as they are so delicate and do not have great ability to repair their DNA, so when they get damaged from toxins or free radicals in the body they become less successful at fertilization. Also remember that the sperm and egg each carry half of the precious chromosomes that make up your future child so it's imperative to keep this genetic material intact when trying to conceive.
Nutrient deficiencies due to a poor diet are a common cause of infertility so it's important to replenish nutrient levels in the body. Being under-weight or suffering with obesity is also a cause of infertility due to the level of toxicity and hormonal imbalance that this creates. Also stress , infection and exposure to chemicals are a serious hazard with infertility.
How To Get Pregnant With The Right Foods:
* Increase Anti-oxidants such as Vitamin C , A, E, Zinc, Selenium and Co-enzyme Q10. Iodine, Iron, Calcium and Potassium are important nutrients that are often found in insufficient quantities in a Multi-vitamin/mineral formula.
* Folic acid, Vitamin B6 and B12 are important in detoxification and metabolism pathways - reducing toxicity and oxidative stress in the body. In the growing foetus these nutrients also protect the DNA from unwanted gene expression related to the development of chronic disease later on in the baby's life.
* Vitamin D has a similar role in the prevention of chronic disease. It's also required for the development of the brain and immune system in the fetus.
* Omega 3 essential fatty acid found in dark oily fish, flax seed, hemp and walnuts. These fats are anti-inflammatory, reducing the effects of oxidative damage in the body. They are also needed for building healthy hormones and forming a protective and functional cell wall of the egg and sperm.
* A healthy diet for pregnancy rich in fresh fruits and vegetables, fish and seafood, nuts and seeds, legumes and pulses (lentils, beans, sprouts), wholegrains.
* Avoid harmful substances such as caffeine, alcohol, refined carbohydrates such as sugar, white flour found in cakes, biscuits, sweets, lollies, packaged and canned foods.
* When trying to conceive and learning all about how to get pregnant it's important to avoid contact with environmental toxins such as herbicides, pesticides, chemical fumes, cigarette smoke, household or commercial cleaners, skin and beauty treatments containing chemicals, certain medications and vaccinations, heavy metal exposure (mercury, lead).
* Boost superfoods such as spirulina, wheat grass, barley grass, chlorella, goji berry, acai berry, tart cherry, resveratrol for more anti-oxidant support and detoxification of toxins and wastes.
* Increase water intake to 6-8 glasses of purified water a day. Support this with regular exercise - 30 minutes a day for enhanced circulation and removal of wastes from the body. Be well and remember the body has a huge capacity to improve its condition when you give it the right ingredients. The end result can only be a healthy and beautiful baby.
Enjoy - the rest is up to you!
Written by: Marcia Montgomery Registered Naturopath and Medical Herbalist (Nelson, New Zealand)
For more information on staying naturally healthy check out Marcia's
It's also worth reading this great e-book: The Pregnancy Miracle book, giving you all the best tips on natural conception and how to get pregnant Click Here!